WhatsApp has finally added a feature that Android and iOS users have long requested, but unfortunately millions of people will not be able to use the required tool when it is launched.
WhatsApp added the ability to transfer data directly from an iOS device to an Android phone. The feature means that WhatsApp users can finally transfer their message library from an iPhone to an Android device by connecting Apple and Google devices using a cable.
However, if you want to take advantage of this handy feature at launch, you may need to buy a new phone. This is because the new “WhatsApp” feature is only available on “Samsung Galaxy” devices, according to “Sputnik”.
The feature was announced during Samsung’s latest Unpacked event, with the WhatsApp feature initially available on the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3. It is now available on all Samsung Galaxy devices running Android 10 or later.
And if you have an Android phone that wasn’t made by Samsung, you’ll either have to buy a new Galaxy — or wait for the feature to make its way to your phone.
The feature will be available via the Samsung Smart Switch app.
This will make the transition from iOS to Android a lot easier, as previously transferring WhatsApp chats between devices required the use of Google Drive or iCloud backups.
While the WhatsApp feature is only available to Samsung Android users, the good news is that it will become more widely available in the future.
Announcing the new feature in an online blog post, WhatsApp said, “One of our most requested features is the ability to transfer chat history from one operating system to another when switching phones. We worked hard with manufacturers of operating systems and devices to create it in a safe and reliable way. We’re excited to start rolling out the ability to transfer your WhatsApp history from iOS to Android.
This happens without your messages being sent to WhatsApp, and it includes voice messages, photos, and videos. To start, this feature is available on any Samsung device running Android 10 or later, and it will be available on more Android devices soon.
To easily transfer WhatsApp data between your iOS device and Samsung Galaxy phone, you will need a USB-C to Lightning cable.
You will also need at least the following versions of these apps on the relevant devices:
• Install Samsung SmartSwitch 22.214.171.124 or later on your new device.
• WhatsApp iOS 126.96.36.199 or later on your old device.
• WhatsApp version 188.8.131.52 from Android or a later version on your new device.
You will also need to have the same phone number on your new device as your old device.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to transfer WhatsApp data between iOS phone and Samsung Galaxy device:
• Turn on your “Samsung” device and connect it to the “iPhone” by cable when prompted.
• Follow the Samsung Smart Switch experience.
• When prompted, scan the QR code displayed on the new device using the iPhone’s camera.
• Click on Start on your iPhone and wait for the process to complete.
• Continue setting up your new Samsung device.
• When you get to the main screen, open “WhatsApp” and log in using the same phone number that was used on your old device.
• Tap Receive when prompted, and let the process complete.
• Deactivate your new device and you’ll see chats waiting for you.
• Your old device will still keep your data unless you erase it or delete WhatsAps