Today, Sunday, the Iraqi Ministry of Interior announced that the death toll from the fire that broke out on Saturday night, Sunday, at Ibn Al-Khatib Hospital in Baghdad, designated for those infected with Coronavirus, has risen to 82 dead and 110 injured.

Medical sources and civil defense men said that the victims were using artificial respirators when oxygen cylinders exploded, causing the fire. And a previous toll spoke of 58 people being killed.

And while national mourning was announced for a period of three days for the lives of those killed, the government said in a statement that, following the fire that broke out in Ibn Al-Khatib Hospital, Prime Minister Mustafa Al-Kazemi held an emergency meeting with a number of ministers, security leaders and officials, and an order in his wake “to declare mourning. On the souls of the martyrs of the accident, “considering what happened” a violation of the Iraqi national security. “

The government statement quoted Al-Kazemi as saying during the emergency meeting that “such an incident is evidence of a failure to do so. I have directed an immediate investigation and reservations to the director of the hospital, the director of security and maintenance and all those concerned until the negligence is found and held accountable.”

Al-Kazemi stressed that “negligence in such matters is not merely a mistake. Rather, it is a crime for which all negligent parties must bear responsibility.”

The prime minister called for “forming a technical team from all concerned ministries to ensure that safety measures are checked in all hospitals, hotels and public places within one week and in all parts of Iraq,” stressing that he issued a “clear directive: every director must personally go down and check safety measures.”

Al-Kazemi added, “No one should tell me ‘an electrical short.’ This is defective … Check every wire in every public department or hospital, and for any circuit that invokes an electrical call, I will hold everyone accountable.”

Al-Kazemi had ordered the aftermath of the disaster considering the victims who were killed in the fire as “martyrs” and granting their families “all the rights of the martyrs,” in addition to treating the fire wounded at the state’s expense, “including treatment outside Iraq.”

At midnight, the Civil Defense announced that its teams had taken control of the fire, which “began with the explosion of an oxygen cylinder according to eyewitnesses,” noting that “the hospital is devoid of a fire detection and extinguishing system, and” the secondary roofs hastened the spread of the fire because it contained flammable plastic materials. “.

For its part, the Ministry of Health issued a statement saying that it would “announce at a later time the exact position of the numbers of victims and wounded.”